Wednesday morning historic Camden beckoned and within an hour we were anchored in the outer harbor next to a mini cruise ship (on the edge of the designated anchorage area outside the mooring field, 44d12.52'N, 69d02.96'W, 35 ft). The town landing dinghy dock in the inner harbor is conveniently located and near the chamber of commerce info desk where they have walking tour maps and event schedules available. A waterfall cascades into the harbor nearby with ducks and cormorants instead of the usual seagulls in residence. Several old schooners now plying these waters in the tourist trade are based here. Called windjammers, we have seen them sailing all around Maine on day sails and overnight cruises. The Lewis R. French (1871), Grace Bailey (1882), Mercantile (1916) and Olad (1928) are the oldest with the Angelique (1981), Appledore (1978) and Mistress (1960) although built more recently still carrying on the sailing tradition.
The historic town center and surrounding homes are easily seen on foot and we enjoyed visiting many shops, galleries and even went to see a movie (Werner Herzog's documentary 'Cave of Forgotten Dreams') at the restored Opera House. Wafarer's Marine across the harbor is a full service boatyard including fuel dock. They are on the site of the old HM Bean shipyard where many schooners were built including the world's largest, a five-master and the first six master in 1900. Captain Hanson Crockett Gregory of Clam Cove is known for inventing the donut hole in 1847 when he poked a hole in a biscuit to allow it to be placed over one of the spokes of his ship's wheel. Although Clam Cove is actually closer to Rockland, Camden now has a Hole in the Donut Festival in June (nice of Rockland to not claim the donut fest as well as the lobster fest).